Windows 8/OEM?

Question
Hi
I ordered windows 8 dvd. After I ordered I noticed it said OEM in the discription. Will I have a problem installing? I am not a seller or builder of computers.
Thank you for your help.
David

Answer
Hi David!

OEM is just fine.  It will install just like any other version.  The limitation of OEM is that once you activate it, it CANNOT be moved to another system.  By way of licensing restriction, it is intended for those building a computer (either for themselves or for resale), and belongs exclusively to the system on which it was first activated.  If you want to be able to move the installation someday to a new computer, you must buy a "retail"-licensed version.

With Windows versions 7 and earlier, OEM was NOT intended for those building their own computer - this has changed with Windows 8, allowing people to buy the cheaper OEM version for their custom-built computers.

While OEM is also intended to be the first and only licensing for a system, technically, you should not use it on a system that shipped with a different OS.  It isn't common for a person to want to do this either, as the "upgrade" version is often much less expensive than even the OEM version for one upgrading an older OS to Windows 8.

Feel free to follow up with any additional questions you might have.

Good luck!

Windows 8

PowerEdge Tech