Windows 8/Windows 8.1 setup needs drivers?

Question
Im trying to clean install windows 8.1 off a flash drive and all goes well until I'm asked where i want to install windows to. in the bottom it says it cant find any drives and to load drivers. but when i browse for drivers my HDD shows up.

on my other pc I found a driver for my HDD and its a .exe. how do i get this onto my flash drive so i can install it in the windows 8.1 setup?

Answer
Hi Russell!

If you have an EXE "driver", then it is most likely either an "installer" or a "self-extracting executable".  If it is an installer, you most likely will need a different format.  Otherwise, you can simply run the EXE to extract the contents, then put those contents on the flash drive.

You mentioned it was on your "other PC" ... you should be using a driver specifically made for your machine in question, and the best place to get it is the PC manufacturer's website.

Feel free to follow up with any additional questions you might have.

Good luck!

Windows 8

PowerEdge Tech