Windows 8/problem with win

I have a Lenovo thinkcentre.  It had win 8 but it upgraded to Win 8.1.  Everything seemed OK till yesterday.  I was working and listening to Youtube music when the music started acting erratic.  I clicked Youtube off and everything became erratic and a message popped up "Win 8.1 encountered a problem, please restart".  I restarted and the USB modem connection didn't work.  After pulling out modem plugs, USB plugs, etc. suddenly the internet worked again.  But still at the bottom of the desktop is that internet icon with the big red circle X on it.  When you click it says "NO Internet connection available" but you click on Explorer and it will connect to internet.  Do you know what's going on?

Hello Don,

thanks for your question!

Well, some drives from Windows 8 do not work well on Windows 8.1. maybe try it with newer USB drivers and USB modem driver. I suggest you use drivermax for this, it helped me a lot :)

Hope this helps!
All the best!

Windows 8

Joerg Droege

Being an early adopter of Windows 8, I can answer a wide-range of questions regarding this new OS.

I had to support users regarding all kinds of Windows problems for many years, often "blind" over the telephone. I work in the IT industry for many years now filling in various positions for various IT and financial and health-care related companies.

I did an education as a Management Assistant in Informatics under the control of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in year 2003.