Windows 8/windows 8

I'd like to purchase a new laptop with windows 8 on it, and replace my old laptop.

I generally use my laptop to surf the internet, watch movies, web development and sometimes use Photoshop. I do not play high-graphic video games.

What sort of computer would fit my needs? ( in terms of memory, ram, processor etc). I want to avoid paying more for additional features ( since I noticed that a 4 GB RAM laptop is way more expensive than a 2 GB RAM, but why would I need 4 GB RAM ?)

Thank you

Hi Jose!

4GB should add VERY little to the price of a system.  If you are seeing a big difference between a 2GB configuration and a 4GB configuration, then either 1) they are charging too much for the memory upgrade, or 2) there is something else different causing the price to go up.

If you are going to skimp on a computer, DON'T skimp on the memory.  Get 4GB.  If you don't, you will regret it later (whether or not you realize the poor performance is due to this decision or not).

That said, you don't need much for what you said you will use this for, but you should size the computer based on Photoshop's requirements.  PS's requirements - on paper - are not substantial, BUT the better the computer, the better it will run.

In order to really help you more than this general information, it would be helpful to know which configurations you are looking at in comparison, and what the system specs are of the computer you are replacing.

Feel free to follow up with any questions you might have.

Good luck!

Windows 8

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer nearly all questions about Windows 8 - installation, upgrade, virtualization (Hyper-V, etc.), configuration, how to get the most out of it, how to buy it, etc. I won't pretend to know it all - nobody can - if I don't know, I will try and find the answer. If I can't find it, I'll tell you.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I have been using Windows 8 since the early Developer Preview days and use it on all of my primary PC's for a number of activities.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).