Windows 8/windows8

Question
I have been perfectly happy with XP/  Was given a new computer with Windows 8 and I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE IT.  I have heard myriad complaints about it and my experience confirms them.  Suggestions have been to go to Windows 7 which I have limited experience with and don't like either but my experience the few times I've used it is so limited I don't know if it would be an improvement.  What about windows 8.1? Is it better than windows7?What is the procedure and cost to get rid of 8? All I want to do is be able to go to file,send and put the places I go on the desktop as with xp without he ordeal involved with 8. This computer also has explorer 10 instead of the 8 I am familiar with so I don't know what changing to 7 or 8.1 will do to that.  Getting old is no fun and at 68 I am surely there.  Thanks

Answer
Hi Clem!

Windows 7 is different from XP, and Windows 8 is a bit of a departure from Windows 7, although not all that much, in my opinion.

It would help to know what about Windows 8 you DON'T like, then address those concerns individually, but one thing that many people complain about is the missing Start Button/Menu.  Technically, the Start Button is still there - just hidden in the corner.  It's functionality has also changed a little - clicking Start opens a full screen Start Menu (called Start Screen), which is laid out differently than the traditional Start Menu.  There are many utilities that return the Start Menu that people "miss" with Windows 8.  The two most popular are Start8 ($5) and ClassicShell (free).

Another gripe with Windows 8 is Internet Explorer.  There are two versions in Windows 8 - the full screen version that runs from the Start Screen and the Desktop version.  I would recommend using the Desktop version for all web browsing.

Windows 8.1 is available as a FREE update to Windows 8 ... no harm in trying it out :)  It returns the visible Start Button and the ability to boot to the Desktop instead of the Start Screen.

If you want to go back to Windows 7, you have two options:  1) you can downgrade as part of your Windows 8 license; it is unlikely that this is an option for you, as it requires the computer to have come licensed with Windows 8 PRO, and 2) you can purchase your own Retail license for Windows 7.  Installing Windows is not necessarily difficult, but you might consider hitting up a local techie/geek or taking it in to a shop to do it.

You "could" go back to XP, trying to install it on this computer, BUT 1) some modern hardware does not work with XP, so there may be issues installing it or with it being unstable, and 2) Microsoft is discontinuing support for XP in April.  This means that Microsoft will not issue any more security or stability updates for XP, making it more and more vulnerable to attacks by the day.  With the number of people who will still be on XP come April, the field will be ripe for harvest by malware attackers to exploit known (or now-unknown) bugs.

"What is the procedure and cost to get rid of 8? All I want to do is be able to go to file, send and put the places I go on the desktop as with xp without he ordeal involved with 8."

Maybe you could elaborate on the issue you are having here ... Windows 8 still has the "Send To" function, so I'm not sure what you are trying to do that you can't do in Windows 8.

"This computer also has explorer 10 instead of the 8 I am familiar with so I don't know what changing to 7 or 8.1 will do to that."

This will be an ongoing issue if you don't adopt it now.  XP supports up to IE8, Windows 7 comes with IE8 but will update automatically to IE11 (you can run any single version between as long as you disable the updates to newer versions).  Windows 8 comes with IE10 (it cannot be downgraded to previous versions of IE, as it is part of Windows, IE11 also cannot be installed without going to W8.1).  Windows 8.1 comes with IE11 (it cannot be downgraded to previous versions of IE).  Windows can only run one version of IE.  The best reason to get used to newer browsers is that modern websites do not work as designed (and may not work properly at all) in older browsers (even Google has discontinued support for IE8 and IE9 for most of their apps, including Gmail).  There are other browsers as well that you might try that generally will not change from one version of Windows to another ... Google's Chrome and Firefox.

Feel free to follow up with any needed clarification or additional questions you might have.

Good luck!  

Windows 8

PowerEdge Tech