Windows 8/Windows 8 question

Question
Hello!

First of all, thank you for your time!

My question is pretty simple... I recently had to buy a  new computer due to the requirements of a high-end DJ program I recently started to use.

I noticed that there's a lot going on in the background when using windows 8, and since I will probably begin performing using this computer,  I would like to know if there's a way to allocate all of the systems resources to this  one  program when i'm running it.

I took a look in the task manager, but like everything else it's vastly different on windows 8, and I cant make much sense of it to be honest.

Any tips to kinda stop  my computer from running too many things in the background and focus on my DJ software would be greately appreciated!!

have a nice day

-gerald

Answer
Hi Gerald!

There is very little you will want to disable on a clean installation of Windows. If you are running Windows 8 as was installed from the factory of whatever company built your PC, then there may be a few things you can disable - update/ad software, things like Roxio or Nero related services, backup/recovery media reminders, etc. These all depend on the specific manufacturer and OS image build.  You can either disable applications/services from starting up with the computer and/or uninstall features such as the built-in backup in Windows Turn Features On/Off section of Control Panel.  You'll want to make sure you know which ones you are not planning to use though.

1. I would recommend performing a "clean" installation of Windows 8. This will ensure that ONLY those services needed for Windows 8 are running and nothing more.  You will need to delete all partitions and data from the disk and reformat it during the process.  You likely did not receive a Windows 8 installation disc from your manufacturer, but you can usually request one.

2. Hopefully you purchased a PC with the computing power you want/need/require. Today's PC's have more than enough power to run what relatively little/few services are required in Windows 8 plus whatever high-powered software you want to run ... if you configured the hardware specs correctly.  For example, you should probably have an i7 processor - 4 cores with hyper-threading, capable of running 8 simultaneous threads with great speed.  You should probably also have a minimum of 8GB of RAM - maybe more, depending on the software you are using.  

If you are running the 32-bit version of Windows 8, I'd recommend the 64-bit version, as the 32-bit version will be limited to 4GB with nothing more you can do to increase it.

If the software is 32-bit (installs in the Program Files (x86) folder), then even running on Windows 8 64-bit, it will be limited in how much memory it can use.

If the software is 64-bit (installs in the Program Files folder on 64-bit Windows 8), then make sure you have enough memory for the program and Windows (probably 8GB minimum, again, depending on your software).

That said, you can change the priority of services on the Details tab, that way if the system is busy doing something else at the time that that application requests resources, it will drop what it is doing and service the application, however, depending on what the system was busy doing, it may or may not speed up your application if it in turn has to still wait for the OS to finish what it was doing when called away.

Feel free to contact me with any additional questions you might have. If you do, please include your make/model of PC, OS version (32-bit/64-bit), DJ software title and version, and your hardware specs (hard drive type/speed, memory/RAM, and processor type/speed).

Good luck!  

Windows 8

PowerEdge Tech