Windows 8/Move Programs Folder to another drive

Good morning,

I installed an SSD drive and want to use this for the OS (Windows 8) and some games, so they run faster.

All the other programs ( and Documents, Pictures etc. Folders )should go to the hard drive (now D:\).

How would I achieve this and are there any drawbacks.

Thank you for your help.

You can change the location of your personal folders by going to C:\Users\yourusename\ and right-click Documents, Properties, and the Location tab.

There are no real "drawbacks", other than the fact that those files will be accessed at HDD speeds and not SSD speeds, but it can be necessary if your SSD is very small.

Feel free to follow up with any additional questions you might have.

Good luck!

Windows 8

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer nearly all questions about Windows 8 - installation, upgrade, virtualization (Hyper-V, etc.), configuration, how to get the most out of it, how to buy it, etc. I won't pretend to know it all - nobody can - if I don't know, I will try and find the answer. If I can't find it, I'll tell you.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I have been using Windows 8 since the early Developer Preview days and use it on all of my primary PC's for a number of activities.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).