Windows 8/win8 proxy server

Question
on a friends laptop (Dell) win8 I tried to clean bad virus off - and fianlly had to do a system restore to a previous date
Before I did that and even now when I try to go to internet it sees my home wifi and I conenct to it but it pops up can not conenct to proxy server -
However ... when I launch malware bytes it lets me update (which of course requires a internet connetion) AND the dell message pops up saying I need a BIOS update - when I try to do that .. it indicates an internet conenciton is required

Lots of confusion here
Thanks for your help
Chicago

Answer
Hello Nina

if you are using a third party firewall or internet security suites , turn firewall off and see if that fixes the issue
if not then reset windows firewall by going to control panel switch to icon view, click on windows  firewall on the left side there an option " restore defaults" click it , then again click on restore defaults then click yes then click ok when done

also double check this
goto control panel " switch to icon view"  and then locate internet options open it then goto connections tab and then click on lan settings

make sure automatically detect , and automatic configuration , and use proxy server for your lan are unchecked then click ok then apply then ok
see if you can connect and browse etc..

if that didn't work then windows sock need to be reset so follow the instructions below

Step 1: Follow the steps given below to reset Winsock.

a)Press Windows key + X, select Command Prompt (Admin)

b)Type “netsh winsock reset” in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.

c)Restart the computer.

Step 2: Follow the steps given below to reset TCP/IP stack.

b)Type “netsh int ip reset reset.log hit” in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.

c)Restart the computer.

if you need more help feel free to contact me back
good luck  

Windows 8

Saed Shawwa