Windows 8/WIN 8.1 vs 10

Question
QUESTION: My ten year old desktop pc is starting to fail, but I was going to wait until Windows 10 comes out before getting a new one. Or would 8.1 be a better choice since it's been out awhile and has most of the bugs out of it?  Thanks

ANSWER: Hi Lee!

Too little is known about Windows 10 right now to give you good advice on this. It may be a free upgrade, it may be temporarily cheap, like with Windows 8, or it may be "full price". While there are a few documented new "features" over Windows 8.1, it is unclear what features would make the wait worthwhile.

Any computer you get with 8.1 will also run Windows 10, so you could upgrade later - price then becomes the only question.

If you are running a computer that old, I would just say to get a new one as soon as possible :)

Feel free to follow up with any additional questions you might have.

Good luck!

QUESTION: I'm not a computer guy and have never upgraded. If I bought a new computer with Windows 8.1 and wanted to upgrade to 10 later, I would take it somewhere and let them do it. But does that ever cause problems, in terms of possibly having bits of the old Windows version still on the system creating conflicts with the newer version? Seems it would be cleaner and simpler to wait and get a new computer with Windows 10 already on it, providing my current pc will last that long!  Thanks

Answer
Hi Lee!

"If I bought a new computer with Windows 8.1 and wanted to upgrade to 10 later, I would take it somewhere and let them do it."

That changes things. Upgrades are not that painful, so while it isn't really necessary to take it to someone and pay them to do it, if that is your plan, then wait until the newer one comes out.

"But does that ever cause problems, in terms of possibly having bits of the old Windows version still on the system creating conflicts with the newer version? Seems it would be cleaner and simpler to wait and get a new computer with Windows 10 already on it"

With today's operating systems, upgrades are FAR less painless and dangerous than they used to be, however ... remembering that your PC is running Windows XP, you need to realize that XP is a dinosaur, and Windows has come a LONG way since then, and no longer are you replacing an OS kernel during the upgrade - they are essentially the same kernel, and you are adding and/or changing them to add the functionality of the new OS. That said, a "clean" install is ALWAYS that - cleaner.

It is simply a matter of how long you want to wait and how much you want to pay (possible upgrade cost, labor cost of upgrade).

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Windows 8

PowerEdge Tech