Windows 8/Windows 8.1 is dropping then re-connecting my wifi

For some odd reason windows 8.1 doesn't like the internet. I will connect to my home network no problem, and it will load 1, maybe 2 websites if i'm lucky. Next I will try and load another web site and I get the long loading time, then the no connection message, and finally I look down at the wifi symbol at the bottom left of my screen to see a full signal bar, then the red x that means no wifi available. After a few seconds it will reconnect only to repeat the process all over again. I have tried many of the simple fixes to no avail. Any and all help is much appreciated.

Hello Tony!
I have taken it from the pool as the others didn't know how to answer.

Thanks for your qustion!

First of all you mention "wifi" and then you say "my computer doesn't like the internet".

WiFi DOESN'T EUQAL internet!
The internet is the world wide web, the wifi connection is just the connection between your computer and the router!

So there are 3 places to check:

Did you install the latest updates of Windows 8.1? Especially Update 1 and Update 2?
Those updates include a lot of bug fixes and security patches and may solve your issue, too!

To Update Windows 8.1. to Update 1 and Update 2 use Windows Update Service:

Is the last wifi network driver for your card installed? I'd suggest using the free version of drivermax to figure that out:

Is the latest firmware applied to your router? ? You should check this anyway, as the manufacturers supply fixes to bugs like wifi, etc and also offer security hole closures.

Hope this helps!

All the best!

Windows 8

Joerg Droege

Being an early adopter of Windows 8, I can answer a wide-range of questions regarding this new OS.

I had to support users regarding all kinds of Windows problems for many years, often "blind" over the telephone. I work in the IT industry for many years now filling in various positions for various IT and financial and health-care related companies.

I did an education as a Management Assistant in Informatics under the control of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in year 2003.