Windows 8/Driver issues

Question
I have an ASUS Vivobook S500C with Windows 8.1. It came with an ASUS external optical drive and I've had a printer that I've used for a while. They both started out working just fine, but recently they've stopped. I ordered a new optical drive thinking that was the problem but that doesnt work either. They do work on my dad's HP laptop, which leads me to believe is something with my computer. Other things will plug into that USB slot and work just fine, such as my iphone. Is it a problem with the drivers? I really know nothing about drivers so any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Answer
Hello Michael!

Thanks for your question.

As a first step for troubleshooting such things I usually check for new drivers using the free program Drivermax: http://www.drivermax.com

Please notice that you can only download drivers in the free version within 24h .

Please let me know whether it found an update for your drivers and whether installing those updates fixed it!

Thanks in advance and waiting for your reply :)

All the best!
Joerg

Windows 8

Joerg Droege