Windows 8/Windows Update

Question
"I recently noticed that I have been updating more than usual lately. So I waited through the process and at the end it said "failure to configure windows update reverting back" to something I forget. Then I look at my history and I haven't had a successful update in 2 months. Now I'm starting to worry. How do I to successfully update again and how much damage have I done to my pc?"

Answer
Hello Danny

Thanks for your question!

You have asked this question in the Windows 8 section so I assume this is what you use.

And this may actually be the root cause of the problem

Because you have to update to Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Update 2 nowadays to still receive free updates for your system

Please check if you have Windows 8.1 by:

Windows key & R and enter "winver" and run it to see what windows version you have at the moment.

If it says Verison 6.2 then you still have Windows 8

Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Update 1 and 2 are like the Service Packs of older WIndows versions.

Here is how to update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1:  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/how-to-update-to-windows-8-1.htm

To Update Windows 8.1. to Update 1 and Update 2 use Windows Update Service: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-update-faq

please notice that it could be that you need to run Windows Update Service more than once.

Hope this helps!
All the best!
Joerg

Windows 8

Joerg Droege