Windows 8/Windows Update

"I recently noticed that I have been updating more than usual lately. So I waited through the process and at the end it said "failure to configure windows update reverting back" to something I forget. Then I look at my history and I haven't had a successful update in 2 months. Now I'm starting to worry. How do I to successfully update again and how much damage have I done to my pc?"

Hello Danny

Thanks for your question!

You have asked this question in the Windows 8 section so I assume this is what you use.

And this may actually be the root cause of the problem

Because you have to update to Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Update 2 nowadays to still receive free updates for your system

Please check if you have Windows 8.1 by:

Windows key & R and enter "winver" and run it to see what windows version you have at the moment.

If it says Verison 6.2 then you still have Windows 8

Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Update 1 and 2 are like the Service Packs of older WIndows versions.

Here is how to update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1:

To Update Windows 8.1. to Update 1 and Update 2 use Windows Update Service:

please notice that it could be that you need to run Windows Update Service more than once.

Hope this helps!
All the best!

Windows 8

Joerg Droege

Being an early adopter of Windows 8, I can answer a wide-range of questions regarding this new OS.

I had to support users regarding all kinds of Windows problems for many years, often "blind" over the telephone. I work in the IT industry for many years now filling in various positions for various IT and financial and health-care related companies.

I did an education as a Management Assistant in Informatics under the control of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in year 2003.