Windows 8/buying new computer

Question
Hello, I am going to be buying a new customized computer and I have the choice to have the operating system installed (Windows 8.1) or just get the drivers disk for less money.  I have two computers now bother running Windows 8.1 Pro.  I am going to be getting rid of one of the computers and I am going to remove all data including the operating system.  Can I use the Windows 8.1 pro disk and serial number from the computer I am getting rid of on my new computer.  Both are laptops but different brands.  Thank you for your time

Answer
Hi John!

Whether or not you can use the OS on your old computer on your new one depends on what type of license you have on your old one.

In general, if the old computer came with the OS installed and has a license sticker on it, then it CANNOT be transferred - the license lives and dies with the computer with which it came.

In general, if you bought your own OS to put on the old computer, then it can be transferred to a new machine.

If you have further questions, please let me know your specifics.

Good luck!

Windows 8

PowerEdge Tech