Windows 8/Windows 8

My laptop has windows 8 on it and it was working fine earlier but when I turned it on again and tried to login in it took longer than usual to login. Then when it did login it just showed a black screen. When it is on the black screen I can move my cursor around and press ctrl alt del which displays the options of lock, switch user, sign out or task manger. What should I do to get the start screen and desktop to come up?

Hello Shannon!

Thanks for your question!
I took it from the pool as other experts didn't know the answer to this.

First of all boot into safe mode with network suopport:

(Start reading from section: "But Windows Won’t Boot Properly!").

Does it boot then?

You have mentioned you are using Windows 8. However you should update to latest Windows 8.1 Update 2 as only then you receive new drivers and patches and security fixes for Windows!

Please check if you have Windows 8.1 by:

Windows key & R and enter "winver" and run it to see what windows version you have at the moment.

If it says Verison 6.2 then you still have Windows 8

Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Update 1 and 2 are like the Service Packs of older WIndows versions.

Here is how to update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1:

To Update Windows 8.1. to Update 1 and Update 2 use Windows Update Service:

please notice that it could be that you need to run Windows Update Service more than once.

This could also fix your black screen during normal bootup issue!

If it doesn't work, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
All the best!

Windows 8

Joerg Droege

Being an early adopter of Windows 8, I can answer a wide-range of questions regarding this new OS.

I had to support users regarding all kinds of Windows problems for many years, often "blind" over the telephone. I work in the IT industry for many years now filling in various positions for various IT and financial and health-care related companies.

I did an education as a Management Assistant in Informatics under the control of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in year 2003.