Windows 8/hard drive crashed

Hi,  I have a gateway computer that had windows 8 on it.  The hard drive crashed.  I put in a new hard drive but I have no disks and there is no license number on the computer.  I have a Windows 8 disk from another computer but how will it get through the license check?

Hello Denny

Thanks for your question!

If you have no license plate with key on it on your pc, you need to read it from BIOS/UEFI!

Here are 3 methods of how to do that:

Hope this helps!

All the best!

Windows 8

Joerg Droege

Being an early adopter of Windows 8, I can answer a wide-range of questions regarding this new OS.

I had to support users regarding all kinds of Windows problems for many years, often "blind" over the telephone. I work in the IT industry for many years now filling in various positions for various IT and financial and health-care related companies.

I did an education as a Management Assistant in Informatics under the control of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in year 2003.