Windows 8/re installing windows 8

Hi,  I have a gateway computer that had windows 8 on it.  The hard drive crashed.  I put in a new hard drive but I have no disks and there is no license number on the computer.  I have a Windows 8 disk from another computer but how will it get through the license check?

Hi Don,
Computer manufacturers are no longer putting stickers on the bottom of computers with the Windows Product key. The product key is written to a chip on the motherboard. The product key is retrievable, however windows needs to be installed. This does present a problem such as you have.

We have not tested this ourselves yet however, Microsoft has generic keys that will allow you to install Windows 8/8.1.

These keys are below:
334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT for Non-Pro version
XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB for Pro version

If these keys work then this link will help you retrieve your key.

If the above method does not work ask a follow up, let us know where in the installation process you encountered errors and we will try to help you figure out a way to get windows installed.

Windows 8

Computers Unlimited LLC

Computers Unlimited LLC can answer questions about security issues including malware and virus removal, upgrading or downgrading Windows 8 or 8.1. We can also assist with the installation and updating Windows 8 and 8.1

The owner of Computers Unlimited LLC has 15 years experience working with Windows based desktop Operating Systems

2 Associate degrees in Information Technology 6 Career Study Certificates Pursuing a Bachelors degree in Computer Information Systems