Windows 8/Windows 8.1 Definitions Update Question

Greetings! I am having great difficulty now with updating and downloading the Windows 8.1 definitions whereas I did not have any problems before Windows 10 came along. Now, every time I go to try to update the Windows 8.1 definitions ONLY, Windows 10 intrudes and always wants to download itself instead. I am not ready to download Windows 10 yet! I only want the latest Windows 8.1 update definitions. Why is this happening I wonder? Thank you very much for your help in this matter and I hope to find a solution to be able to update only 8.1 definitions.

Hello Tanner, thanks for your question!

I have googled for it and found the solution here:

Hope this helps!
However bear in mind, Unless you have a real, solid reason - i.e. something you rely on day to day does not work on Windows 10 for whatever reason and there is no alternative - you really should update.

(But of course make a backup before doing that)

I have updated 4 windows 8.1 devices (tablet, notebook, desktop PC and big notebook) and one Windows 7 device (my mum's laptop) and had no major issues whatsoever!

All the best!

Windows 8

Joerg Droege

Being an early adopter of Windows 8, I can answer a wide-range of questions regarding this new OS.

I had to support users regarding all kinds of Windows problems for many years, often "blind" over the telephone. I work in the IT industry for many years now filling in various positions for various IT and financial and health-care related companies.

I did an education as a Management Assistant in Informatics under the control of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in year 2003.