Windows 8/PC games

Question
I just purchased a new PC to play video games on. The PC is running windows 8.1 and I need to know if it will be compatable with games designed for other window systems? (ME,98, XP, Vista)

Answer
Hello Mark!

Happy New Year to you first of all!

AS you said you buy this PC for games I would strongly suggest update to Windows as long as the update is still for free. Windows 10 performs faster than Windows 7 and 8.x as it is much better in dealing with resources.

If the games work depend on a few factors.

Windows Vista, is like the base of Windows 7, 8.x and 10. So Vista Games will often work with the newer OSes.

XP games are a bit more troublesome. Sommetimes it helps using the compatibility mode to run a Windows XP game on Vista/7/8.x/10.

Many games offer patches for newer Windows versions to run or offer workarounds. So I strongly suggest you google here!

Windows 98 is an outdated OS based on-top  of DOS, many games do not work on 64bit systems also for the reason that some parts often were still 16 bit and 64bit Windows Vista/7/8.x/10 does not support 16 bit programs anymore.
Apart from that the same as I said for XP above applies.

Hope this helps!
All the best!
Joerg

Windows 8

Joerg Droege