Windows 8/Windows 10 Upgrade

Good day. I have a question about upgrading my Windows 8 to Windows 10.

1. My firs step is to update my Windows 8 Laptop (Lenovo Z500) to Windows 8.1
2. After the update, i can see the notification that i can update my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
3. This is my Question, If i upgrade to Windows 10 for free today and i decided to reformat (one key recovery) my laptop and reverted back to Windows 8, can i still upgrade to Windows 10 for free assuming 1 year cutoff of Microsoft already expired. Or do i have to buy the license?

I am also thinking to create a recovery state using my Lenovo Z500's one key recovery. Did you have any experience on that?

In case you need some clarification, feel free to message me.

Thank you and have a nice day

Hello Miguel,

thanks for your question!

In the latest update to Windows 10, Microsoft implemented a feature that you don't need anymore to enter your serial key, it will automatically detect that you had running Windows 10 on this machine before so after re-format and being connected to the internet after/during installation of Windows, your copy will automatically be re-registered and unlocked.

Windows 10 is bound to the hardware (computer/tablet) it was first installed on.
I would anyway use a tool and read out your serial key after installation of Windows 10, just in case you have a defective motherboard and you need to get a new one, so that you have a proof in case you are asked to call a hotline to legitinate your copy of Windows 10 manually.

Yes. once you applied to the free upgrade, it's free as long as your lifetime of that computer is.

If you have  any more questions to ask, feel free to ask them in a follow-up and I will gladly answer and help you.

By the way, Windows 10 comes with a free technical chat and remote support called "Answer Desk" and it is less resource hungry than Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

All the best!

Windows 8

Joerg Droege

Being an early adopter of Windows 8, I can answer a wide-range of questions regarding this new OS.

I had to support users regarding all kinds of Windows problems for many years, often "blind" over the telephone. I work in the IT industry for many years now filling in various positions for various IT and financial and health-care related companies.

I did an education as a Management Assistant in Informatics under the control of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in year 2003.