Windows 8/Lost password

Have a Dell laptop running Windows 8 or 8.1 unsure which, that I donated to a friend, I factory reset it and created an outlook email account because it wouldn't boot otherwise.  I gave her the password which she lost before the first login.  I contacted Microsoft and they said sure we can help for $300, the computer cost about $315 so I'm unwilling to pay $300 to reset it, is there ANY way around this?  Thanks.

Hello Lou!

Thanks for your question!

Yes, there is MAYBE a way around this. For Windows 10 users Microsoft has a free support service called "Answer Desk". They may help you maybe even with your Outlook issue over this service.

Windows 10 is a big improvement over Windows 8.x anyway, and till July 29th it's free to update to Windows 10. It's way better than Windows 8.x and I highly recommend you update to it, while it's still free to upgrade.

Learn more of how to do this here:

To contact answer desk, go to --> Contact Answer Desk.

Hope this helps.

All the best!

Windows 8

Joerg Droege

Being an early adopter of Windows 8, I can answer a wide-range of questions regarding this new OS.

I had to support users regarding all kinds of Windows problems for many years, often "blind" over the telephone. I work in the IT industry for many years now filling in various positions for various IT and financial and health-care related companies.

I did an education as a Management Assistant in Informatics under the control of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in year 2003.