Windows 95/98/Booting from USB flash drive

I want to install Win 95 on my computer because I have a collection of literary works on a CD collection , readable only through a Windows 95-bound  old software program.
Since I do not have  a floppy drive on my computer,  I thought  to transfer the Ms-Dos boot disc  data ( which I have on CD) onto a USB stick, hoping that the system would boot from it for the Ms-Dos and then allow me to do the setup from the Windows installation CD. I have set the BIOS boot priority  to read from the USB drive first, but nothing happens. It does not boot.  The Ms-Dos  files are good, because the MS-Dos boot kicks in right away if I use the CD from which the USB stick data were copied. How can I fix this problem?

Thanks for your help

Franco V

To make this work, you have to make sure the File Allocation table on your USB drive is set to FAT (not FAT32 or NTFS) and that you have installed DOS in the boot sector.  Othewise, your computer may check it, but will determine the drive is not bootable and will move onto the next device.

Here are detailed instructions on how to set it up:

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

Windows 95/98

Michael Troy

I have lots of answers for problems with defrag, clock time, performance, system resources, problems with passwords, opening files, etc. I also probably know of a freeware/shareware application for anything you want to do: sharing Internet, firewalls, games, utilities, graphics, audio, etc.

I am the Director of Information Systems for a large law firm. I also have a home network of multiple computers and other devices.

George Washington University, BA University of Michigan Law School, JD