Windows and Doors/Falling upper window

When we unlock the standard windows we have, the upper half of the window will drop straight down if we do not hold it and prevent it from crashing down. It will not stay up by itself.

How can they be adjusted so this does not happen?

Hi Michael,

From what you described you have a double hung window.

If you upper sash (the part of the window that goes up and down) is falling something may have broke in the jamb liner (the side of the frame where the sash  slides in).

Depending of what type/brand of window you have you could need new jamb liners, new block and tackle or a spring....

If you know what brand of windows you have you can call the nearest dealer of the window and they can direct you to their service team or to companies in your area that work on windows.

If you have Hurd Windows I am a dealer and service center that sells parts online. You can go to:

If you do not know what brand of windows you have would I suggest goggling local window repair shops or window repair men. Or calling local window dealers and ask them if they can recommend any window repair companies to you.

Windows and Doors

Brittini Reitz

We are most familiar with the Hurd Window & Door brand. We can answer how to replace parts, identify parts, where to buy parts, if they are discontinued from manufacture and if there is a retro fit part that will work, how to shim and adjust Hurd Windows & Doors or diagnose a problem a Hurd window is having and how to fix it. We can also answer questions about pros and con of different types of window brands and help a person to know what they should ask when they are looking to buy new or replacement windows.

R&R Window Service (dba) R&R Windows & Doors is a family owned and operated company. We started out as service center for windows and patio doors. Now we are a dealer, installer and service center for Colorado. Our founder Ron Reitz has been in the window industry since the late 1980's, so people not only be getting my window and door expertise but from everyone in our company. Our window & door lines we carry are Hurd Window & Door, Cascade Windows and Milgard Windows & Doors. But we have worked on about every type of window brand that has been sold in Colorado over the years.

These is for everyone in our company who would help answer questions: Arapahoe Community College, Installation Masters Institute - Level RLC-1, Hurd Sales Training Program, Hurd Service Training Program, EPA Lead Base Paint Certified.