Windows and Doors/Door replacement price

Question
QUESTION: Hi there. I need to replace 3 exterior doors in my home. The doors would be steel, all solid with a peep hole. This job may include replacing the jamb as well. My home is all brick, and pretty old. 2 doors have wooden jambs and the one, a steel jamb. They are odd dimensions as well, so the doors may need to be custom ordered (smaller than today's standards). I'm trying to make sure I'm getting the right price. I was quoted $1800. Is this fair? Thanks!

ANSWER: What size doors do you have on your house now? Even if your door openings are an odd size, you still can make a stock sized door fit in the opening without much trouble. I don't see why you would have to order custom made doors.

As far as price, it is hard to say if it is worth it since I do not know what kind of door is being made. Steel, Oak, Pine, Fiberglass, Glass etc

QUESTION: The front door, for example, is 33 inches wide, by 78 tall. The replacement doors would be steel, all solid, with a peep hole.

Answer
A stock steel door is 79 inches from top to bottom when it is not in the frame. So it sounds like you have a standard sized door. The width is 33" you said. When adding in the door frame, that should be considered a 34" door. 34" doors were very popular in old houses. You can still get stock 34" prehung exterior doors from Home Depot, Lowes or Menards. The selection of styles in limited in a 34" compared to a 32" or 36". I just remodeled an older house with two 34" exterior doors. The customer did not like any of the stock 34" doors Home Depot had and did not want to wait a week or two to order a 34" door that she liked. So I put a 32" door in the back and a 36" door in the front. On the back door rough opening, I added a 1"x6" actual size 3/4"x 5 1/4" to each side of the rough door frame opening so the smaller 32" door frame would fit. That left a gap of only a 1/4" on each side bewteen the new door frame and the rough door opening in the house. I used shims to close the gap. On the front door, when I took the old door frame out, I saw there was the extra 2" in the width of the rough door opening to put a 36" door in. You can get very nice exterior doors for under $200 each. That would save you $1200. You can still get stock 34" prehung exterior doors from Home Depot, Lowes or Menards. The selection of styles in limited in a 34" compared to a 32" or 36".

Windows and Doors

Russell Spataro