Windows and Doors/Replacing Rotted Basement Window

Question
Basement Window Rotted
Basement Window Rotted  
Hello Russell,

I am planning to replace a wooden basement window, as seen in the attached picture, and rip out all of the rotted frame. I'm contemplating installing a vinyl American Craftsman slider with screen, as seen here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Craftsman-70-Slider-Buck-Vinyl-Windows-31-in . My question is to correct sizing. As the picture shows, there seemingly exists a double side jamb on the left side. Should I either, A. measure the present window width as it currently exists (interior left side jamb to right side jamb)? B. eliminate the interior left side jamb and measure window width from exterior left side jamb to right side jamb? Or, C. measure entire width of concrete opening, thus eliminating all side jambs?

As this will be my first window installation, I very much appreciate any guidance you can provide. Thank you.

Answer
From the picture, it looks like the extra jam is a newer piece of wood than the original jams. There is no reason for it to be there other than covering something up like a hole of holding something up that is above it many years after the house was built. Is the wood header or the top of the window frame that is above the window rotten also? I can't see it because the siding is in the way. Maybe you can send me a photo of what is at the top of the window frame by holding your camera close to the ground and point it upwards. I did mention in my first answer to use treated lumber. Also use plenty caulk on the side of the new sill, jams & header that will be up against the concrete. Just run a couple of thick beads of caulking down the middle of the new wood before you install them.
So you are not ordering a new window that is made to fit the rough opening, correct? You are buying a stock window that is 31x15.
As far as correct sizing, you usually start with the rough opening which is without the jams. How big is the opening from concrete to concrete? I need to know that measurement, width & height to give you the correct answer.

Windows and Doors

Russell Spataro