Windows and Doors/old double hung windows

Question
Dear Russell,
  I am designing a product for use on old windows. Its design is dependent upon the outside casing width, the upper and lower side rail thickness and the parting bead width. I live in an old house where my outside casing width is 1 inch, the upper and lower side rail thicknesses are both 1.5 inches and the parting bead width in .5 inches.
I have measured other old homes (but not many) and found those dimensions to be consistent. Do you know what other variations there are out there? Or do you know a resource in can examine? Sincerely, Richard Schlueter

Answer
Yes there are many variations on old houses. When the old houses were built. A 1x6" or 2x4" actually measured that. Over the years the wood kept getting smaller by a 1/16 of and inch until the lumber mills shaved a full 1/2 an inch off the width of lumber. I am restoring a house that was built in 1908. The 2x4's in the walls and other parts of the house are real 2x4's. They measure 2"x4". Today's 2x4's are 1 1/2x 3 1/2 inches. The 1908 house I am working on now had an addition put on in the 70's or 80's and the 2x4's measure just under 1 3/4" x 3 3/4". The original window and door jams are a full 1"x6". The window and door jams on the addition are 3/4" by 5 1/4". The only suggestion I can think of is to try and make your product able to fit the variable widths. Also the windows may be old and in some cases original, but the casing, frame or jams were replaced over the years because of rotting, cracking or termites on several but not all of the windows in the house.  

Windows and Doors

Russell Spataro