Windows and Doors/Window sounproofing

Question
Hi Tony, I would like to reduce traffic noise thru the window. Looking for in nexpensive material to put on the Windows.  Doesn't matter if it blocks the light. Appreciate any help

Answer
Hi Mary,

I am not aware of a product specifically made to sound proof windows.  Double pane windows are significantly quieter than single pane windows but it usually requires changing out the sashes or the entire window to go from single to double pane windows.  Your best bet is likely to purchase a sheet of foam board from Lowes or Home Depot.

If you carefully measure your window, and provide Lowes with the measurements, they may even cut it for you on their panel saw for a small fee. The link I provided is for 1 inch thick foam board but it is available in other thicknesses.  For even better sound proofing (and insulation from the cold also) you might consider multiple stacked layers.  Unless your window is large one sheet of foam board may be big enough to provide two or more pieces .  

Sun light will break down the foam board over time but it should take at least six months to a year to do significant damage to the board.  Painting the side that is exposed to the sun with a white or light colored latex paint will protect it indefinitely. Do not use oil base paints as the oil base may damage the foam board.

If you have storm windows it may be possible to secure the foam board between the storm window and the house window.  If that is not feasible, securing the foam board to the inside of the window with tape or some type strap that is stapled to the window trim should should suffice.

I hope I have been of some help in this matter.

Best regards,
Tony  

Windows and Doors

Tony Wood