Windows and Doors/closer pulled out of metal door frame

I have a door closer that the screws attaching the bracket to the head of the metal door frame have worked  their way out and the holes are enlarged.

I have the original #14 metal screw but am not finding a size larger.

Do you have some recommended approaches to remounting the bracket?

Hi Thomas,

Once the holes are enlarged it is difficult to reattach the bracket securely even with larger screws.  Even if you get it mounted solidly again the metal in that area is likely already stressed enough that the repair will not last.  

There are two methods I have used that will provide a solid mount for the bracket:

The easiest way is to use the existing mounting holes as a guide to drill the holes completely through the door.  Then using machine screws, washers and nuts, bolt the bracket back in place.  Use fender washers on the outside of the door to distribute the stress over a larger area. Use a nylon insert lock nut or liquid thread lock and a standard nut on the inside to prevent the nuts form loosening over time.

If you don't want to drill through the door you can fabricate an over-sized plate that can be fastened over the affected area using multiple self taping screws or rivets positioned uniformly around the perimeter of the plate. The mounting bracket can then be positioned and mounted to the plate in the same manner as it was originally mounted to the door.

Regardless of which method you use, the new nuts, bolts,washers, etc. can be spray painted to match the door color before installation if desired and a Q-tip dipped in the same paint can be used to touch up any scuffs that occur during installation.

I hope I have been of some help in this matter.

Best regards,

Windows and Doors

Tony Wood

I can answer questions regarding style, function, and construction features on a wide range of windows and doors. I also have extensive experience in the repair and replacement of many types of windows and doors. My expertise also includes carpentry, painting, framing, siding/boxing, decks and screen and glass enclosures. Wood's Home Maintenance Service

I am a life time resident of North Carolina with over 30 years experience in multiple facets of the industrial, commercial and residential construction industry. For the past 23 years I have owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service, providing services primarily in Johnston, Wake and Sampson Counties of North Carolina.

Several Home improvement articles published on Angie's List and other online forums including an interview by North Carolina Homes.

High School graduate ~ proficient in CAD (computer aided design), Open Office program suite. I have also successfully owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service for the past 23 years