Windows and Doors/Wood floor protection next to and under sliding doors

I have a problem with leaking sliding glass doors that will soon be repaired.  However I want to protect the plywood under the doors.  The sliding doors rest on the last six inches or so of the plywood floor for the room.  I have proper stainless steel flashing under the door frames and the plywood is still in good condition.  After the door repair we will replace the carpet in the room with ceramic tile.  I want to protect the plywood to the maximum so in case of a future problem with the doors, I won't need to remove the tile to repair the wood.  Should I pour raw linseed oil on the floor alongside the door frame so it seeps into the floor and under the doors??  Or should I use another sealer or do you have a better idea.  I figured raw linseed oil is better then boiled linseed because the raw oil takes longer to dry.

Thank you,   Lou

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have been so busy with work that I have fallen behind on my office work as well as my response to your question.

I have been in the construction business for over 30 years and I have never heard of using linseed or any other oil for this purpose.  A quick google search did turn up multiple news stories like this one about  the dangers of linseed oil and spontaneous combustion.

For the potential fire hazard alone I highly recommend that you DO NOT use linseed oil or any similar product in the manner you described.

The proper way to ensure your floor is protected is to have  sill pan flashing  professionally installed as part of the door installation process.

Proper jamb and sill pan flashing will ensure that any water leaks that may occur around the door are directed away from the sub-flooring and framing to the exterior of your home.

This is a tried and true method of protecting your home but many contractors and installers omit this step and the home owners never know the difference until the damage is done.  Ask your contractor about the door installation process. If they don't include sill pan flashing as part of the process, insist that it be installed and assure yourself that they are familiar with proper flashing and sill pan installation practices.

I hope I have been of some help in this matter.

Good luck with your project.

Windows and Doors

Tony Wood

I can answer questions regarding style, function, and construction features on a wide range of windows and doors. I also have extensive experience in the repair and replacement of many types of windows and doors. My expertise also includes carpentry, painting, framing, siding/boxing, decks and screen and glass enclosures. Wood's Home Maintenance Service

I am a life time resident of North Carolina with over 30 years experience in multiple facets of the industrial, commercial and residential construction industry. For the past 23 years I have owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service, providing services primarily in Johnston, Wake and Sampson Counties of North Carolina.

Several Home improvement articles published on Angie's List and other online forums including an interview by North Carolina Homes.

High School graduate ~ proficient in CAD (computer aided design), Open Office program suite. I have also successfully owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service for the past 23 years