Windows and Doors/Front door replacement

Hi Tony,
I would like to replace a south facing front door with fiberglass.  The door has an overhang so it's protected.  I am not sure who will paints the door.  Is that typically done by the manufacturer and if not, can the contractor get a finished product that can withstand the south with full sun. Your response will guide me what color the door should be.

Also,  my current door has single pane windows and has been there for 55 years. Any ideas on the need to get a new door?

Thanks for your help.

I have replaced hundreds of doors over the course of my career and I can say without any reservation, that a properly installed door is a good investment.  Modern doors are much more energy efficient than they were when your door was installed.  They have better weather stripping, seal better across the threshold and have insulated glass.  I prefer steel or fiberglass doors over wood doors because they tend to hold up better over time with less required maintenance.

All of the doors I am familiar with are primed only and will require finishing on the interior and exterior to protect the door and match the existing colors of your home.  Some installers will also paint the door. If your installer does not offer painting services you will have to paint it your self or hire a painter to finish the door.

Windows and Doors

Tony Wood

I can answer questions regarding style, function, and construction features on a wide range of windows and doors. I also have extensive experience in the repair and replacement of many types of windows and doors. My expertise also includes carpentry, painting, framing, siding/boxing, decks and screen and glass enclosures. Wood's Home Maintenance Service

I am a life time resident of North Carolina with over 30 years experience in multiple facets of the industrial, commercial and residential construction industry. For the past 23 years I have owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service, providing services primarily in Johnston, Wake and Sampson Counties of North Carolina.

Several Home improvement articles published on Angie's List and other online forums including an interview by North Carolina Homes.

High School graduate ~ proficient in CAD (computer aided design), Open Office program suite. I have also successfully owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service for the past 23 years