Windows and Doors/Drafty windows

Is it possible to alleviate drafts from around windows without replacing the windows themselves?

(1)The installation of storm windows may help some.

(2)Installing plastic film over the inside of the window frame can cut down on drafts but obscures the window and is only a short term solution.

(3)Chinking the cracks around the window with paper or cloth is a somewhat effective but often unsightly remedy for drafty windows.

Any of the solutions I have offered may help temporarily, however none of them are as good as replacing drafty windows with new energy efficient windows.  If you are on a tight budget it is not at all uncommon to only replace one or two windows at a time.  

I hope I have been of some service in helping you make a sound decision.

Windows and Doors

Tony Wood

I can answer questions regarding style, function, and construction features on a wide range of windows and doors. I also have extensive experience in the repair and replacement of many types of windows and doors. My expertise also includes carpentry, painting, framing, siding/boxing, decks and screen and glass enclosures. Wood's Home Maintenance Service

I am a life time resident of North Carolina with over 30 years experience in multiple facets of the industrial, commercial and residential construction industry. For the past 23 years I have owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service, providing services primarily in Johnston, Wake and Sampson Counties of North Carolina.

Several Home improvement articles published on Angie's List and other online forums including an interview by North Carolina Homes.

High School graduate ~ proficient in CAD (computer aided design), Open Office program suite. I have also successfully owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service for the past 23 years