Windows and Doors/Fiberglass door

I am replacing an entry door with a fiberglass door.  Home Depot has a very nice white fiberglass door which they say is "unfinished."  The door looks good to me.  The door is approximately $300 and they want another $300 to "finish (paint) the door.

Do I have to "finish" a fiberglass door ?

thank you

Most fiberglass doors are factory primed and look quiet presentable, however the primer is not intended as a finish coat.  Unless the door is specifically rated as a pre-finished door it should have at least one additional coat of paint on the interior and exterior.

Unless it is getting multiple coats of paint or some type of faux finish $300.00 does seem a bit much just for painting it, but your labor rates may be higher than the rates here in North Carolina.

I hope I have been of some help!

Best regards,

Windows and Doors

Tony Wood

I can answer questions regarding style, function, and construction features on a wide range of windows and doors. I also have extensive experience in the repair and replacement of many types of windows and doors. My expertise also includes carpentry, painting, framing, siding/boxing, decks and screen and glass enclosures. Wood's Home Maintenance Service

I am a life time resident of North Carolina with over 30 years experience in multiple facets of the industrial, commercial and residential construction industry. For the past 23 years I have owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service, providing services primarily in Johnston, Wake and Sampson Counties of North Carolina.

Several Home improvement articles published on Angie's List and other online forums including an interview by North Carolina Homes.

High School graduate ~ proficient in CAD (computer aided design), Open Office program suite. I have also successfully owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service for the past 23 years