Windows Networking/Giving users access to only specific resources - Windows Server 2008 r2

Question

I am trying to provide already created users access to resources on windows server 2008 r2.  I have already configured all settings in Active Directory Domain Services. I have also installed IIS6. How can I give users access to only specific resources (for example, in this case IIS)?

Thanks,
Lorr

Answer
Hi there.

I'm not sure how you mean specific access to IIS6, but I will try to explain that there are ways to setup a domain / file server in which you grant access to a folder / folders to only certain people.

One method is to for instance setup a folder called MARKETING and grant access to Administrators, remove access to USERS, and add specific inidividuals in the Marketing team (i.e. Joe, Tracey and Nancy).  However, a better method is to create a Group called Marketing and to add Joe, Tracey and Nancy to this group.  Then, you can add the Marketing Group to the Sharing section of the MARKETING folder.  This would prevent other users from gaining access to this folder.

Does this explain what you are asking?

Please let me know if you need a better explanation.

Thanks

Windows Networking

Hrire Mikaelian