Windows Networking/Subnet masking

Question
What is the generally accepted convention of having all zeros and ones in the extended portion of a home address?

Answer
Hi Jacob,

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but I'll try to answer.  If you need clarification, send a follow up.

In a subnet mask, if an octet contains all zeros, the computer will be able to communicate with all other computers in that subnet.  For example, if you use 255.255.255.0, the computer will communicate with any other computer only if the first three octets are the same and the last is different.  If the mask is 255.0.0.0, then it will communicate with any computer where only the first octet is the same.

In binary, the 255 used in decimal format comes out as "11111111" (eight digits, hence the term 'octet').  When an octet is all ones, that octet is fully masked and a computer will not communicate.

- Mike  

Windows Networking

Michael Troy