Windows Networking/Network problems Windows 7 Home Edition

Question
QUESTION: Hello Hrire

I have a laptop running Win 7 Home edition.
I "think" somehow I deleted something.... and as a result it does not connect to my router with a cable or wireless...
I have checked in Device Manager the settings they are below:
Intel 9R) Wifi Link 5100 AGN
Mi8crosoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
I tried updating the Realtek Driver I downloaded from my PC to a CD, but Windows said the old one was the most up-to-date??
So not sure where to start... any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Roger

ANSWER: Hi there.

The best thing to do first is to try to connect with a wired connection.  The wired connection typically will work if you hook up to your router.

IF that works, then you can try to troubleshoot the wifi part of things.  If your laptop came with driver CDs, I would strongly suggest using those (i.e. Dell or HP CD), to get your driver updates.

If that doesn't work and you're stuck, when you go to the device manager, REMOVE both the Intel 9R and Realtek PCI controllers by uninstalling them.

Afterwards, do a full shut down of your laptop.

Typically, when you startup, the system will automatically detect these devices and hopefully it will install the correct driver for each one and will work.

Give this a try and let me know what happens.

QUESTION: Hello Hrire
Thank you for your help

Removed items from control panel, restarted, they are back and do not work....
On wifi seeing router but not picking up my password??? not changed this??

other then throwing out the window.... any ideas?

The install side is on the HDD, no separate DVD or CVDs etc only a recovery partion??

Thank you

Roger

Answer
Okay..

If the wifi password is not working, you may have forgotten the WIFI password to connect to yorur network.  It means that it IS physically working but on the router, it needs to be reset somehow.  If you can, you will need to logon to the router via your PC and from the settings, change the wifi security password to be something.  Then, when prompted to logon from the WIFI on your laptop, it SHOULD work if you type that same password.

If this is confusing, please let me know and I'll clarify.

If the Hard Wired network port/card isn't working even with the latest drivers, it MAY be a bad network port/card on the laptop.  However, what you could do is create a SYSTEM DRIVER disk.  Typically, from the START menu, there might be something that says CREATE SYSTEM IMAGE DISK or CREATE SYSTEM DRIVER DISK.  You want to do the SYSTEM DRIVER disk.  Then, after you've created that, try reinstalling the drivers for your physical network card and see if that might work.

I hope this is helpful.

Windows Networking

Hrire Mikaelian