Windows Networking/red x between pc and internet

hi..i have win 7  here,and today there was no online connection. i checked in network and sharing center, and there is a red x between the pc and internet. first, what causes that,and  second, how do you get rid of the red x and get back online? thank you!!

The red X indicates that Windows is unable to find a path to the Internet.

The way to make that red X go away is to resolve the issue that is causing the computer to not have a path to the Internet.

In order to resolve the issue do take these steps:

1.  Reboot the computer.
2.  If that does not resolve the issue make sure that the computer is actually connected to a network either with a cable or wireless network.
3.  If the computer is connected to a network make sure that the network connection is enabled
    a.  Open Control Panel (Click Start the click control panel)
    b.  Open Network and Sharing Center
    c.  Click Change adapter settings
    d.  Right click on each connection and click on enable  or disable (click disable even if it is enabled)
    e.  If the connection was enabled in step 3d then re-enable it.

Windows Networking

Kevin Watkins

I can answer questions about Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. I can also answer Questions about Windows Server 2003, including questions about DHCP, DNS, RRAS, IIS, Active Directory, file and printer sharing.

I am a network engineer and computer technician working for a consulting company in my area. I have been working with computers in one form or another since 1990 and have an associates degree in networking engineering

I have an associates degree in network engineering.