Windows Networking/Question for Mr. Troy

Question
Dear expert

I have D-link wireless router downstairs in the basement. Every time I try to receive wireless access upstairs with my laptop, my computer ask me to put the network security key. I don't know where can I find the security key. I tried to access my router's settings by typing 192.168.0.1 in the browser, but I did not find the network security key. Please let me know where can I find this key or how to disable the security key in order for the laptop to receive internet from the router downstairs.

I can not move the router from its location because I have to keep the router connected to the desktop computer downstairs.

Every few days I have to press the reset button on the back of the router in order to prevent my laptop from asking me to put the network security key. Please let me know your alternatives.

Thank you

Answer
Hi Sam,

If you can access the router through your browser, you should be able to find the security key in the settings.  It may be called something else like "encryption key"  or "network key".  In my Linksys router, I have to click on the security tab then "wireless security" then the key is called "pass phrase".  It is the same place in the router where you set up wireless security, usually WEP or WPA encryption.  You should see an option to change it to whatever you like.  

If you turn off that encryption, you won't need a key at all, but then anyone can access your router if within range and anyone can steal any unencrypted data between your computer and the router.  So I don't recommend turning that off unless you live somewhere where no one else is ever within range of your router.

- Mike

Windows Networking

Michael Troy