Windows Networking/Windows 7 home edition security

Hello Hrire

I have a few questions and hope you might be able to point me in the right direction.

I run windows 7 Home Edition on a stand alone PC with internet access.

I have my admin account and a few standard accounts, one of which is my main one.
I am keen to lock up the other user accounts for security reasons. Some of my concerns, not sure if I can do this....
1) prevent at start up entry to BIOS of Safe start up
2) turn off the ability for usb storage devices to be used, some of my usb ports are used for devices, printer etc
3) prevent exe files to be run other than those already in the computer ie from the internet etc
4)prevent keyloggers to be used / installed

This might sound a bit heavy, but I need to secure the computer

Many thanks for your time

Hi Roger

Very good questions.  You are going to have to use a combination of bios security locks and Windows security locks to prevent access to what you want to block.  For instance, 1)  you would have to go into your Bios and disable or secure most of  your bios area so that no one can make changes to inputs that you don't want them to touch.

For 2) you could disable USB ports in the Bios as well, but that would prevent you from accessing them also, so there is a way to block them within the Windows registry as well, but unfortunately this blocks access to everyone as well.  However, I found this tip online at this site that you can set the permissions on a user to user basis.

3)  If you setup user accounts with no admin access, typically, users would not be able to run/install anything new.  However, they would be able to run files (i.e. winword.exe, notepad.exe, etc)

4)  To prevent keyloggers to be installed, setting up user accounts with limited security is the best answer.  I would suggest having a quality virus scanner installed to catch keyloggers in case they sneak in.  You could install Microsoft Security Essentials (free download from Microsoft) and it catches these items frequently.  Also, install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software (free version) and run this weekly to see if anything penetrated your system.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if you need more assistance.

Windows Networking

Hrire Mikaelian

Windows 95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7 workstation and Windows 2000/2003/2008 server networking, Group Policy and wireless configurations. Have knowledge about workstation Ghosting, and also the ins and outs of hardware troubleshooting.

15 years of experience as a hobbyist and Senior Systems Administrator

BA, BCom in Information Technology Management. No IT certifications. However, I have taken several Windows, Novell and Networking courses.