Windows Networking/Folder access

Hello Expert,

I have one access db in folder on my PC.which connected to a excel file, where user will update the data in excel and after saving the data will be updated in access db.

is it possible to give security settings where user can only modify the access db (Read , Write , Save)  but not able to "DELETE" the db. had tried many Combinations but failed. if i give only modify access users can "DELETE" my db.

Access db is placed in my PC (OS=Windows XP Sp-3) where end users have PC with Windows-7.

Vimal Thakar

Hi there.

I am not sure if your PC/system is setup in a workstation environment or a domain environment.  However, there SHOULD be a way for you to set it up so that you can change the advanced rights of the file/folder to be MODIFY only.  Basically, right click on the file and select the USER or USERS that need access to the file (under the security tab).  Now, click on the user name so it is highlighted, and click on ADVANCED.  Again, make sure the name is chosen and click on CHANGE PERMISSIONS then EDIT.

When you do this, you will see that there are MORE options to select.  It is safest NOT to touch the DENY column, but uncheck the items in the ALLOW column.  So, uncheck DELETE, READ PERMISSIONS, CHANGE PERMISSIONS and TAKE OWNERSHIP.

This should limit what your users can do.  As an additional tool for yourself, do this.  If let's say you had modifications done every day, create a backup folder so that you daily make a backup of your DB files.  If you can, make a folder for each day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday).  Create a scheduled task for each day of the week that you will make a backup each night and put it into the correct folder.  In this way, you can have backups for a week (in case something bad happens.  You will need to create 5 separate batch (bat) files for this and you can launch them separately.

I hope this helps you out, and let me know if you have any questions.  

Windows Networking

Hrire Mikaelian

Windows 95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7 workstation and Windows 2000/2003/2008 server networking, Group Policy and wireless configurations. Have knowledge about workstation Ghosting, and also the ins and outs of hardware troubleshooting.

15 years of experience as a hobbyist and Senior Systems Administrator

BA, BCom in Information Technology Management. No IT certifications. However, I have taken several Windows, Novell and Networking courses.