Windows Networking/Software

Question
Hello! I have been having this computer problem for a few weeks now. Yahoo! upgraded their mail to version 7 and it completely locked me out and won't accept my second verification either. Also, I got a hold of that "Java 6" virus and it totally screwed me. I am not just locked out of my e-mail, but online banking, credit reports, website where my web store is, etc.
I have had some schooling with computers and have worked with them for years. I have re-loaded this computer countless times over the past few weeks and still got the same problems. I have had Time Warner here checking out their cable modem which is working fine. The only problem with the modem is that it is still running ipv4, which isn't even compatible with XP SP3.  lol
 I am mentally exhausted, have been through this computer inside and out with all that I know how to do and still haven't found the problem. Ran the "Recovery Console" to try to learn how to use it and found a ton of things that are disabled. Some of them may be by default, some may not.
Oh, I have an "HP Mini 1035NR" with WindowsXP SP3. I did manage to upgrade the BIOS though. Also, HP can't even detect my computer, so I know something is really wrong somewhere. Can you help?

Answer
Hi Charles,

If I understand correctly, your Internet access is working, but certain sites are not.  If some web sites work fine, you know your internet connectivity is working fine.  IPv4 is the standard communication method for Windows XP, so if your provider's modem uses that, you should be fine.

It is likely that something in your settings in blocking access to secure web sites.  If this happened after you got a virus, it is likely that the virus made settings changes to your browser that have compromised security and are preventing you from working correctly.  You should look at your browser's security settings to see if there are changes made there.  It could also be changes made to your hosts file which redirect you from valid sites to copied sites.  You may want to try downloading an alternate browser (if you use Internet Explorer, try Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome) to see if that works.

But you also want to make sure that the virus is not still lurking on your computer, and trying to steal personal information like your passwords.  You may want to run Hitman Pro or Malwarebytes (both free downloads) to make sure your computer is clean.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

Windows Networking

Michael Troy