Windows Networking/home wi-fi network issue

I have a Windows 7 computer with a Netgear WNR2000 router running WPA2 PSK security.

The wi fi network is working fine, but I just bought a brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and it will not authenticate the password. I have tried rebooting the tablet and forgetting the network and adding it manually, it still produces the same result.

Samsung is telling me to send it for service but I doubt that will do anything.

Is there anything I can do to the router settings that might help?

Hi Theo.

This is one of those strange settings where one device might be having issues communicating to a router or where incompatibilities exist.

Try this kind of approach:
1)  Turn off wireless on your router and restart it
2)  Turn wireless on for your router and set wireless security to have no encryption and see if the Samsung can connect to it - if it works, go to 3).
3)  Try setting the the encryption to WEP or another type of security to see if it works with the Galaxy - if it works, go to 4)
4)  Try setting up your original security and password on the router for WPA2 PSK and see what happens.
5)  If 4) didn't work, try changing the password on the router and see what happens.

This is one of those red herrings, but I hope you can come up with a resolution on it.  Please let me know if you still have no luck and I'll dig into some other options I can recommend for you.

Windows Networking

Hrire Mikaelian

Windows 95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7 workstation and Windows 2000/2003/2008 server networking, Group Policy and wireless configurations. Have knowledge about workstation Ghosting, and also the ins and outs of hardware troubleshooting.

15 years of experience as a hobbyist and Senior Systems Administrator

BA, BCom in Information Technology Management. No IT certifications. However, I have taken several Windows, Novell and Networking courses.