Windows Networking/Windows 2008 Server activation

Question
We bought a computer with Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64 bit activated and updated.  Recently, however, we got the message that it needed to be activated and gave us 10 days to do it.  Contacted the vendor who gave us a link to a program short.cc/activate.exe.

It apparently worked because the message disappeared.  However, I still have some questions that you may have some insight on.  Doesn't the product have the key activated with Microsoft?  How did this program do that?  Secondly, how many licenses come with this Enterprise edition?
Art

Answer
Hi Art.

Typically, this gets registered by Microsoft via their validation tools remotely (almost like an online activation), however, if you were in a situation where your hard disk crashed and you needed to reinstall, you might need to contact Microsoft verbally and explain that the hard disk was replaced so they could allow the activation to work again.

I'm pretty sure that it comes standard with 5 concurrent licenses, but usually you would purchase that with the software/hardware itself.  If you had for example an organization of 20, you should purchase an additional 15 users worth of licencing.

I hope that helps.  

Windows Networking

Hrire Mikaelian