Windows Networking/Active remote client/no sleep

Question
Hrire,
I use a laptop and desktop in a typical home network setup. I have the common problem of Windows 7 not going to sleep because of "an active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine". Thats what you see when running powercfg -requests at the command prompt. I've already seen all the forums for this and the answers they give are all about updating NIC drivers, checking on power and screen saver settings,etc. all of that is nonsense because all the drivers are up to date, all settings are fine.   So after some messing around between my laptop and desktop I realized that all it takes is for me to open "Network" (used to be My Network Places in earlier windows versions), and just open the icon for the other networked computer. I dont even have to open any of its shared drives, or open a file on it. All I have to do is double click its icon, and then run powercfg -requests on the OTHER computer and I'll get that message. So the question is, how long do they mean when they say "recently"?  If both computers stay running for hours on end, neither will go to sleep because of that "recently sent request" bit.  How long is recent and how do I get them to stop preventing sleep just because of that?

Answer
Hi Dave.

I'm a bit confused at your question because I'm not sure what your issue is.

Do you have a remote desktop connection active from your laptop to your desktop always running?  I can see that this might be a situation where the power saving settings might take effect, because there is an active network connection connected to your desktop.

I understand that you might want to have a remote desktop connection running all the time (especially if your PC is far from where you want to sit), but what I might suggest is, why don't you 'disconnect' your remote desktop session rather than logging out.

You can do this from the START button of your remote desktop connection.  What this will allow you to do is later remote desktop into your desktop computer (assuming wake on LAN is enabled) and you can continue exactly where you left off.

I hope this helps.

Windows Networking

Hrire Mikaelian