Windows Networking/xp won't connect with wpa2 key

Hi. I have a Compaq Presario, a bit old, and windows xp, service packs 2 and 3. We have another computer currently hooked up to a wireless network, and the router has a wpa2 network key. The compaq doesn't respond to the key, even though an ethernet cord works, but that's awkward.  I tried to download an update, code KB893357, which puts on wpa2 (because I don't see that as an option on the computer, only wpa and wpa-psk), but the message says that my program is 'newer' so an update isn't needed. Oh. I have a linksys antennna. Now what?

Hi Scott,

Windows added WPA2 support to XP with SP3, so if you have that installed, you should have the support installed already.  That is why you are getting the message when you try to install the individual update.  

You may not see the wpa2 option because your wireless card does not support it.  In that case, you will likely need to get a newer wireless card for that computer.  I had to do that with my old Linksys wireless USB devices when I got WPA2.  

- Mike

Windows Networking

Michael Troy

I have a fair amount of experience in peer-to-peer networking. I can answer questions about hardware, networking software, protocol settings, etc. I have some client-server experience, but not a lot with Windows-based servers. I can also give some advice on home network security: VPN, firewalls, anti-virus, etc.

I am the Director of Information Systems for a large law firm which connects about 300 users over five offices via a wide area network. We use client-server, peer-to-peer, remote access, VPN, Internet, and proxy servers.

I also have a peer-to-peer network of computers at home, with file and print sharing, remote access, shared network storage, and shared Internet access with a firewall.

BA George Washington University JD University of Michigan