Windows Networking/"You're not connected to a network."

Windows 7 Home Premium

My computer is connected by Ethernet cable to my combo router/modem.  My husband is connected wirelessly.    When surfing the net, occasionally when I click on a link, the message "You're not connected to a network." appears onscreen, and on the task bar there is a spinning blue wheel on the monitor icon which indicates connectivity to the network as if it were looking to load the page. Sometimes a red x appears, then the blue wheel and then the page loads….all in a few seconds.  The message remains on the screen until the webpage loads.

I have rebooted the modem.  Switched to a new Ethernet cable.  Installed a new browser.  Uninstalled and reinstalled the NIC. Tweaked a few settings on the services menu. Canceled and then reestablished a new Home Network.   Even flushed the DNS cache.  Nothing has gotten rid of this message. Clicking on the “fix” results in “no problem” found. Ran a virus and malware check.   I called Cox, my internet provider,  who maintains it’s a computer issue but was unable to point me in the right direction.

Any clue as to where I should look next?

It sounds like you have run through most of the basic troubleshooting options.  From the description, it seems the computer is losing its network connection to the router/modem for a brief time, but the reconnects.  This could be the result of a bad network cable or failing network card.  I would try replacing the cable.  If that does not fix it, replace the ethernet card.  

- Mike

Windows Networking

Michael Troy

I have a fair amount of experience in peer-to-peer networking. I can answer questions about hardware, networking software, protocol settings, etc. I have some client-server experience, but not a lot with Windows-based servers. I can also give some advice on home network security: VPN, firewalls, anti-virus, etc.

I am the Director of Information Systems for a large law firm which connects about 300 users over five offices via a wide area network. We use client-server, peer-to-peer, remote access, VPN, Internet, and proxy servers.

I also have a peer-to-peer network of computers at home, with file and print sharing, remote access, shared network storage, and shared Internet access with a firewall.

BA George Washington University JD University of Michigan