Windows Networking/Virtual Private NetworK (VPN) V/S RDP Remote Server Connectivity.

Dear Kevin‎‎

What could be the probable reasons that one is unable to establish connectivity to a VPN Server using VPN Client software ?.

Many times one is unable to establish connectivity to the VPN Server.

But one is always able to establish connectivity to a RDP Server using RDP Client software.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Their could be a couple of causes for the connection failing

The first being that the router is not configured to forward the correct ports to the correct computer.  Use the following link for assistance port forwarding  Make sure to check the VPN software for what ports to forward.

The second being that their is a firewall application on the computer that is blocking the connection.  Instructions for allowing the correct ports through the firewall will vary on the firewall software.

Windows Networking

Kevin Watkins

I can answer questions about Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. I can also answer Questions about Windows Server 2003, including questions about DHCP, DNS, RRAS, IIS, Active Directory, file and printer sharing.

I am a network engineer and computer technician working for a consulting company in my area. I have been working with computers in one form or another since 1990 and have an associates degree in networking engineering

I have an associates degree in network engineering.