Windows Networking/Windows networking

QUESTION: Unfortunately, I know what the problem is, I just don't know how to solve it.  I am running Windows Home Premium on my Samsung RC512 laptop.  What I did, totally by mistake, was check the box on the network location screen that says "Treat all future networks I connect to as public, and don' ask again."

This what I have already done to try to correct this problem:

Download and use Microsoft Fix it 50725

Do the fix it manually from the 50725 instructions

Disable the network adapters, then re enable them #there are other steps that I found in fixes that i read on the web#

Remove the all networks for the screen that list the networks # hopefully to remove the active profiles#

Uninstall all of the network adapters and reinstall them #using the same drivers#

Regedit - remove all references to "millertime" #my network#

Regedit -Hkey_Local_MachinesoftwareMicrosoftWindowsNTCurrentVersionNetworkListprofiles<hexNumber>  Deleted all of the profiles

In a previous life I am an MCSE but have been retired from the business several years. I don't work with any of this stuff and problems like this are part of what made me get out of the business.  The must be a way of undoing this. I don't really want to reload my computer and I cannot find a restore point though I thought I created them in the past.

Please Help

Howard Miller

ANSWER: Hi Howard.

I think you've done the right things here.  I'm not quite certain if you're at the point of fixing the problem or not, but if you disable ALL your adapters and then enable them one by one, you should get the prompts appear where you don't click on the check box.

See if you can disable each device (not remove them) by going to the networking menu and selecting the item by right clicking on it and then clicking disable.  This should be available both for the LAN connection and the Wirelss LAN Connection adapters.

Please let me know if you have any luck.

QUESTION: The third thing on my original list was to disable, then re-enable the network adapters.  Not on my original list, that I also tried was to reset the winsock.  On the screen where you set Network Location - Home;  Work;  Public - A the the bottom of the screen is the sentence above " treat all future networks....  ( This no longer appears on my computer).  If I can change it from a "Unidentified public network" to "millertime home network" it changes back to "Unidentified public network" when it is turn back on.

I don't think I am the only one who has ever had this problem (from the literature) but I have not found anyone that has a solution. I feel that the should be setting in either the registry or policy settings or the services.  I do not have a lot of experience in these areas.

hope that helps

Hi again.

This is one of those tricky things that there is no real easy answer for.  My question however is, is this really a problem for your setup and is it preventing you from accomplishing anything?  If it's not a problem, I would not worry about it too much.

I've done some research on this and I can't seem to find an easy answer either.  I'm not sure if you have Windows Vista, or 7 and what version of the software as Premium/Ultimate/Professional versions are sometimes different.

I do suggest that you try this if you haven't.  Uninstall all network adapters but DON'T reinstall them.

Once you've uninstalled them, SHUTDOWN (don't restart the computer) and when starting up again, the "New Hardware Has been found" should auto-install the drivers for the hardware again.  This might trick the system into thinking you have new network adapters and this might resolve the problem.

Try this and let me know.

Windows Networking

Hrire Mikaelian

Windows 95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7 workstation and Windows 2000/2003/2008 server networking, Group Policy and wireless configurations. Have knowledge about workstation Ghosting, and also the ins and outs of hardware troubleshooting.

15 years of experience as a hobbyist and Senior Systems Administrator

BA, BCom in Information Technology Management. No IT certifications. However, I have taken several Windows, Novell and Networking courses.