Windows Networking/Whats the best way to keep files on a computer network?

I'm re-configuring the computer network on our business
my concern now is where to put all files used by staff on different workstations.

Before they all save it on our server which I think is not the right thing to do.

I recently discovered about Network Attached Storage (NAS) and looks like it would be good idea to make one using NAS4Free

Question 1: What is the best way to store your files?

Question 2: If im making a NAS using NAS4Free does it make sense to make bakup of the files contained on your NAS drive?

Question 3: And if so can it be done automatically and how?

Actually, in my opinion, the central SERVER and/or NAS system is the best method.

With this, you can configure backups and so on from a central location rather than plugging in one unit and having it be the critical part of your business.

Having the NAS is good, but keep the server infrastructure.  It is best to have all the staff be mapped to for example drive S: for shared.  From there, anyone can access things centrally.

If a PC's hard drive dies, you won't have issues, as everything is backed up on the server/NAS at the same time.

Always make backups of your files at least daily.  The software that comes with the system will allow for automatic backups which will automate the process for you.

I hope that helps.

Windows Networking

Hrire Mikaelian

Windows 95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7 workstation and Windows 2000/2003/2008 server networking, Group Policy and wireless configurations. Have knowledge about workstation Ghosting, and also the ins and outs of hardware troubleshooting.

15 years of experience as a hobbyist and Senior Systems Administrator

BA, BCom in Information Technology Management. No IT certifications. However, I have taken several Windows, Novell and Networking courses.