Windows Networking/files transfer

Question
I need you to help me with this.  I bought a hard drive from Fry for $200.  I transfer the files from that hard drive into my desktop laptop.  What I did was that I highlighted the whole folders from the Hard drive and drag it to my desktop laptop.  The folders and files are being copy.  My question is.  Does I loose the folders and files from the hard drive or did I was able to make two copies now.  One is still the original files and folders in the hard drive that I bought for $200 and another one is the copy on my desktop.  My question is.

Do I have two files now, one is on my desktop laptop and another on my hard drive? Therefore, I have tow copies.  If one fail I can depend on another?  Please help me with that.  I am afraid that I might loose the files and folders in my hard drive that I bought for $200 at Fry.

Answer
Hi Henry

I'm assuming you bought an external hard drive with a USB connection?  If so, your 'new' hard drive should be mostly blank, except for some software that might be installed on it used for backing up and so on.

Normally, the purpose of the hard drive is definitely to back up your files.  If you drag/drop a specific folder from your laptop C: drive to the external D: (or other drive letter), it will make a copy of the current version of those files.

So essentially if your laptop fails, you can go back to the version of your files you copied on the external hard drive.

However, you have to make sure that you do this regularly, because if you always have newer files, those files will NOT be updated until you do another copy.

Another option is to run the backup software (that probably came with the drive).  If you install this software, it will do a backup of your system on a scheduled basis and you will be able to retrieve your data if there was a laptop failure for example.  This doesn't replace the laptop hard drive, but just makes is so that when you get that fixed, you can retrieve your data again.

This might be a bit technical, but if you want me to clarify, please send me a reply and I will.

Thanks.

Windows Networking

Hrire Mikaelian