Windows Networking/share files beetween 2 computers

Question
I have one pc running windows xp professional and one pc running windows 2000 and i have a ethernet switch , can i somehow connect both computers to the switch using ethernet cable and share files beetween them.

Answer
Hi Tomy

This absolutely can be done.  The difference between switches and routers is that switches in a way are a bit 'dumb' in that they don't auto-assign your computer an IP address.  So if you use your switch, you need to assign each computer a STATIC IP address manually (i.e. 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11).

Routers are a bit smarter in that when you plug into them, they will autoassign you an IP Address as long as DHCP is set in your IP Settings.

You will need to enable FILE AND PRINTER SHARING on both computers and ensure that the firewall will allow FILE AND PRINTER SHARING.

Once you do this, you can reference a path such as \\192.168.0.10\c$ (all files on C:) and see all the files on C and the subfolders.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Windows Networking

Hrire Mikaelian