Windows Networking/File sharing/networking

(POS)system.  We installed the main client to the sever computer in the office and we we're using the shared folder the application was installed to, to open the POS on the workstation computers in the front.  For some reason some of the computers see the shared folder over the network and some don't.  The ones that do are an old Windows XP and a Windows 7.  And the remaining two that don't are a Windows 7 and a Windows 8 computers.  They all see the main server computer, and they all see a shared 'Users' folder but its the main shared application folder for the POS that they don't see. The POS tech support checked our computers and verified everything was installed correctly, and the POS software programs works correctly on every computer. We just have 2 computers that don't see the shared folder.

Hi Jim

I'll try to answer this question to the best of my ability from the information above.  Sometimes it is hard to visualize the exact setup, but I think I have an idea.

From what I understand, the only NEW system is the server computer in the office and you created a 'shared' folder on it where the application was installed to?

And, one Windows XP and one Windows 7 computer can see this shared folder, but the other Windows 7 computer and Windows 8 computer cannot see this?

If this is all correct, my typical recommendation is to check each of the working stations (XP and Win7) and see what userid and password the system / user logs onto when you logon to the computer.  On the server, if there is a SHARE created, there is also a userid/password that users will connect to, for example POS_USER.

The key thing is this:  if that common userid (on all systems) has to be POS_USER as in our example, and let's say the password on the server for the user POS_USER is pos_password, then I would ensure that ALL of the computers and POS systems have the same local userids/passwords setup for the user account POS_USER.

If you have a password that is slightly different, it will cause share problems.

I hope this makes sense.  The Windows 8 environment may complicate things, but if you follow this guideline, you should be okay.  If the Windows 8 POS is giving you issues, reply to this post and I will give you some advice on that.

Thanks and I hope this helps.

Windows Networking

Hrire Mikaelian

Windows 95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7 workstation and Windows 2000/2003/2008 server networking, Group Policy and wireless configurations. Have knowledge about workstation Ghosting, and also the ins and outs of hardware troubleshooting.

15 years of experience as a hobbyist and Senior Systems Administrator

BA, BCom in Information Technology Management. No IT certifications. However, I have taken several Windows, Novell and Networking courses.